Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Lab Lessons in Term 1


Lab lessons in Hwa Chong were definitely very enjoyable. Let me share with you some of my experiences...

1. Getting to know the Science Laboratory, Hot Stuff with Flames

During my first lab lesson, I was no doubt very excited because this was my first time entering a lab after so long. We were being taught some safety precautions that were necessary to take in the lab. Besides that, we were taught the different lab hazards and the symbols that represent them. The most basic safety precaution is wearing the safety goggles. We were introduced to the 2 different types of flames from the Bunsen burner – the luminous and non-luminous flame. After that, we even had an experiment of moving an ice cream stick over both the luminous and non-luminous flame and observe. However, some of my classmates were a bit cheeky and put the ice cream stick over the flame for too long, causing it to catch fire. For my case, my partner and I managed to do the experiment properly but still, we put the stick under the flame for too long and this caused the stick to burn and break. I liked moving the ice cream stick over the flame the most but I disliked closing and opening the air hole because I have a phobia that there will be a strikeback but after a while I got used to it. I have learnt from this activity that we should always be careful and not be negligent when handling things that have to do with fire.


Non-luminous flame

2. Observing and Recording Part 1

During my second lab lesson, we had to mix different substances and watch for a chemical reaction. I know what most of you are thinking now but relax, it did not explode in my face like it usually happens in a movie. We mixed sodium bicarbonate with vinegar and at first, I was also a bit afraid that it would explode but in the end, the mixture just started rising and I was relieved to see that. We also had to write down our observation by using words like ‘effervescence’, ‘precipitation’ and more. They sound very complicated but they were actually words to substitute ‘bubbles started to rise to the top’ and so on which are taught in primary school. Then, there was another experiment where we had to put a drop of alcohol on our skin and blow it. It was a really cooling sensation and I was a bit naughty and went to put another drop of alcohol. :D I liked mixing the chemicals the most because I was very anxious and excited to know what kind of results there will be. However, the most frustrating part was that I had trouble figuring out which chemical was which and this made me use the wrong chemical. In the end, I had to redo the experiment although the results produced were the same. From this activity, I had learnt some new terms to describe my observation.

Chemical reaction

3. Observing and Recording Part 2

During my third lab lesson, we were being tasked to boil a beaker of water over a non-luminous flame and observe the rise in temperature. My partner and I had to be very careful because after a while, the surrounding became hotter and the apparatus all became hotter as well, hence, after the experiment, I had to wait for the apparatus to cool down before washing it. The most interesting part of this experiment was when the water’s temperature had reached 100 degrees Celsius and I expected the temperature to remain constant. However, the temperature did not remain constant but it rose! Therefore, I thought for a while on some reasons that it could have rose above 100 degrees Celsius and I realise that the water I was using was tap water (contains lots of impurities). Since there were impurities, this meant that the temperature could go above 100 degrees Celsius. I liked preparing the set up for the experiment the most and I have also learnt to be more careful when doing experiments.

A bit similar to my experiment

4. Pendulum Predictions

For my fourth lab lesson, I had to measure the period of a pendulum at different heights. It was a pretty easy experiment as all we had to do was change the length of the string at times and count the number of oscillations the pendulum bob made. There were some of my classmates that fooled around by raising the angle of the pendulum bob to 90 degrees, this caused the pendulum bob to start flying everywhere! I liked counting the number of oscillations with my partner the most but I disliked having to measure the length of the string that was holding on to the bob because it always came loose after a while. I had learnt from this activity to be more alert and be focused because if I had turned my head away for one second, the pendulum bob may have swung an extra time and this will cause the results not to be as accurate.

Motion of a pendulum

5. Measurement of Length

This was my final lab lesson for Term 1. We were being introduced to different measuring apparatus like the metre rule, vernier calipers and the micrometer screw gauge. We needed to measure the length of the chair (by using a metre rule), the diameter of a marble (by using a vernier caliper) and the thickness of the wire (by using a micrometer screw gauge). The micrometer screw gauge is used to measure the thickness because the thickness of a wire is very small and the micrometer screw gauge can measure small lengths the most accurately (an accurate up to 0.01mm). I liked the part where we were allowed to use the micrometer screw gauge and vernier calipers the most because I have never used one before. I have learnt how to use each apparatus better and I have realised that different apparatus have different degrees of accuracy.

Micrometer screw gauge
All in all, I have benefited and learnt quite a lot from each of the lab lessons and i am looking forward to the lessons in Term 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment